FAQ - Corned Beef
What does the 'corn' in corned beef mean?
Corning is a form of curing the beef brisket. Curing takes place when the brisket is seasoned and then soaked in its own brine for an incredible flavor.
Is corned beef gluten-free?
Yes, our corned beef is gluten-free and a good source of vitamins.
Is corned beef lactose-free?
Yes, our corned beef is lactose-free and a good source of protein.
Are there any allergens in corned beef?
No, there are no allergens in our corned beef.
How many will my corned beef feed?
An average corned beef is 2-3 pounds and will feed approximately 6-8 people.
How long can I keep my corned beef before I cook it?
Uncooked and unopened corned beef may be stored in the refrigerator until the expiration date on the package. Opened packages need to be cooked within 3 days.
Can I freeze the corned beef after I buy it? If so, how long will it last in the freezer?
Yes, freeze the corned beef before the expiration date marked on the package. It will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
What is in the spice packet?
The spice packet is made up of mustard seeds, coriander, cracked bay leaves, crushed chillies, fennel, dill seeds.
What is the spice packet for?
The spice packet is included as additional seasoning for when you cook your corned beef. It is not required, but is an added option for flavor.
How do I cook corned beef?
Corned beef requires long, moist cooking on the stove, or in an oven, or a slow cooker. We recommend roasting the brisket. For best flavor, any loose juices should be used in the cooking of the product.
- Roasting: Remove brisket from package. Place on rack in shallow pan fat side up. Set temperature at 300°F and roast 1 hour per pound or until fork tender.
- Simmering: Remove brisket from package. Cover brisket with water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 2½ to 3 hours or until fork tender.
- Slow Cooker: Remove brisket from package. Place in slow cooker and add 3 cups of water. Cover and cook on low for 10-11 hours.
Allow the brisket to stand for about 15 minutes after removing from the heat. This will allow easier slicing. It is best to slice diagonally across the grain of the meat.
Keep food safety in mind when preparing corned beef.
My corned beef is still pink. Do I need to cook it longer?
No, you do not need to cook it any longer than the cooking instructions. The color of corned beef is usually a slight pink color due to curing and seasoning.
What do I do with my corned beef leftovers?
Click here for leftover ideas and recipe suggestions.
How long can I keep leftover corned beef?
Corned beef is best if eaten within 3 days, if stored in the refrigerator or up to 2 months, if stored in the freezer.
Are there any special handling instructions I should be aware of?
- Always keep your corned beef refrigerated or frozen.
- Thaw frozen corned beef in the refrigerator or in a water bath.
- Keep raw corned beef separate from other foods, wash working surfaces (including cutting boards), utensils and hands after touching raw meat.
- Always cook thoroughly.
- Refrigerate leftovers immediately or discard.